Brush Hollow Bald Eagles

I spotted the above adult Bald Eagle at Brush Hollow Reservoir over the week-end. As I almost always do I stayed in my car and kept my camera in it's silent mode to avoid flushing this raptor. I am pleased to report that it not appear disturbed by my presence and remained perched just like this when I drove off a few minutes later.

I actually spotted this immature Bald Eagle the day before I saw the adult eagle. Unfortunately it was more distant and backlit. I believe it is a 4 year old eagle in Basic III plumage which Birds of North America online (subscrition) describes in part: "Head white, with distinct brown flecking on forehead and crown, with dark flecking around eye or extending posterior to eye in some individuals...Rectrices mostly white with brown flecking proximally and heavy brown mottling on distal margins of feathers." Also note that the eye has changed to yellow and the base of it's bill is yellow now. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons