A third local Bald Eagle this week, this one in Canon City

I spotted this immature Bald Eagle about a quarter mile from the Arkansas River on the far east side of Canon City, perched several hundred yards from the road over an agricultural field where a flock of Canada Geese were feeding. I found a somewhat closer road to photograph this bird from but it was about 300 feet away so I had to crop the pic severely to show the plumage. I believe this is a second year eagle in Basic/Sub Adult I plumage for showing these field marks from Birds of North America online: "Crown tan contrasting sharply with blackish-brown ear coverts;" "median and greater upperwing coverts brownish olive and variably mottled white";"most individuals with inverted triangular patch of white mottling on the mantle;". SeEtta

Comments

Sondra said…
You're back in CO! I hope to be spending the spring there in the Rifle area, and I have an extensive wish list of birds. I saw many Golden Eagles there last summer as the Colorado river goes right through the town of Rifle, didn't see many nest sites tho, more Bald Eagle nest sites..in fact I saw no Golden nest sites.

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons