Colorful male Blackburnian Warbler in Colorado Springs


When I checked my email on my smartphone this morning I saw that a Blackburnian Warbler had been refound in Colorado Springs at the Sondermann Park there. I was on my way to that city to do some errands and shopping so I decided I would go look for it at end of the day when I finished my other tasks. I only had to drive about a mile out of my way on the drive back through Colorado Springs to get to the park. Though I wasn't sure the light would be good for viewing and photos since I didn't get there until almost 6 pm, it worked out ok and the late afternoon sunshine though it only shone on parts of the trees where the bird was foraging provided nice color when I got the bird in the light.
Most of the time I watched this rare warbler it foraged in the tops of a deciduous tree but it flew to a tall pine tree where I got the top pic.

While the reduction in sunlight made some shots too dark to post, more challenging was the almost constant movement and erratic movement of this small warbler high up in the trees. Fortunately it was finding worms and other insects that it needs for when it resumes it's migration north.

This bottom pic is an action shot--if you look closely the bird is not quite on the tree limb as I caught it as it was landing. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven