Jury-rigging a new nest for the W Kingbird nestling

After I moved the young nestling out of immediate harms way in the road, it occurred to me that this little bird would not survive the night on the ground in this area which is a rural area and adjacent to the Arkansas River. Besides farm cats in the area there are racoons, coyotes and other wildlife that were likely to find this quite helpless bird that could barely ambulate and was nowhere near ready to fly (if the mother laid the egg that became this nestling on the date I saw her on the nest, this bird could be as young as 6 days old, though I suspect from it's plumage it is more likely between 8-10 days old; but these birds don't leave the nest until 13-19 days of age)So I jury-rigged a replacement 'nest' to hopefully hold this little bird for a few days until hopefully it is able to fly to a branch where it has some safety. I found an old 3 tier wire hanging basket that my friend was willing to donate to the cause. Though it displayed an open beak as menacingly as a fluffy little thing could. However, it was too young to even try to bite me, it just held it's beak open. It did, though, cling with it's tiny claws to a piece of wood it was on and I had to very gently pry it off. I placed it in one of the wire baskets (pictured here) in which I had placed some dry grass and my friend hung it from a branch as close as he could get to the nest of origin (about 15 feet). It was getting dark so I left with my fingers-crossed that it doesn't jump out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven