The Long-eared Owl, a few more pics

Good thing I got these additional photos of the Long-eared Owl yesterday as it flew off and disappeared again today.
As can be seen the photos had to be taken between all the branches and leaves when the owl turned it's head so it's face could be seen.  This required during manual focusing and at a level below where I could get the pics standing so I went back to my car and got my campchair.  So while I was comfortable I spent about an hour watching the owl, something that was not possible during prior sightings of this species and I really enjoy getting to know species I don't often get to see.
While I watched the owl did not seen to pay any attention to those walking by on the trail which was about 30 feet away from it's new roosting location. It did turn and look at me when I made noise (which I did very little of as I stayed seated and was intentionally as quiet as possible so as not to disturb it). As staff reported that the owl had been awake all day there was some concern since this is a noctural species that sleeps during the day. While I watched it was awake and frequently engaged in preening. It also looked around, usually in directions away from the trail (and me as I was seated on the trail). SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons