Glossy Ibis


I finally found a flock of over a hundred dark ibis in a flooded field in Florence on Thursday and in it was a bird that looked pretty good for a Glossy Ibis with powder blue lines that appeared to frame it's eyes. And it's eyes looked dark--at first.

However, the eyes when viewed more close up after enlarging the photos has some reddish hues and I see that some of the blue edging does continue around behind the eye which are indications of a hybrid Glossy X White-faced Ibis. I have had feedback from two skilled birders whose opinions I respect, both stating that they believe this bird to be a Glossy Ibis. One noted that the reddish caste of the eyes may be a photo artifact. That was also thought to be the reason the blue edging looked to go a short ways around the eye. I think they made good points and I have changed the id to Glossy Ibis. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven