Acorn Woodpeckers in Pueblo Mtn Park--breeding


The Acorn Woodpecker pair that was found in Pueblo Mtn Park that I blogged about here on June 20, 2012 have continued to be seen regularly. A recent post stated that the birds had been seen entering an apparent nest hole. I drove there yesterday to see if I could get some photo documentation. I am delighted to say that I got documentation of the birds carrying food into the nest hole and what is likely fecal sacs out of it--per Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas II should be evidence of 'confirmed' breeding.

In the top photo the female has a large flying insect in her bill, looks like a large fly, that she takes into the apparent nest hole in the tree. Please note that I was a good 150 feet from the nest tree (and though I stayed in my car to reduce disturbance, the birds did appear to be aware of my presence and would turn towards me they heard the mechanical sounds of my taking a photo)--I have a camera set-up that is approx 900mm in equivalence and then I crop the photos for even close views. As much as they may be used to having people around I think it is responsible to photograph and view the birds at their nest hole from at least a hundred feet. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven