Prothonotary Warbler in my yard in Canon City, CO!

Today I had chores to do as I returned home from my trip to the Lamar, CO area last night so I didn't go anywhere to do any birding for a change. But I heard a chickadee in my yard calling so I called back several 'sip/seep' type calls. I was stunned to see a very bright yellow warbler-looking bird fly across my covered porch while it make 'tsip/tseep' calls. It's calls were unusually loud and as it flew I saw white undertail feathering, the bright yellow with no wing bars--my immediate impression was a Prothonotary Warbler (I think I saw this species in So Texas years ago when I was first birding but I am familiar with what they look like from field guides) so I put a lot of effort into continuing to call and watching the bird as it flew around my yard (naturally my binoculars were in my car in the front of my house). I got my dslr camera (which as usual had my 400mm lens and 1.4X extender) from my huse and snapped several photos of it. It continued to respond to my calls several times and so I watched it off and on for about 5 minutes. It fed on insects in my next door neighbor's plants, flew onto his deck (maybe in search of insects) and was very actively feeding. I am thrilled to get this rare vagrant warbler in my own yard! What a treat and so unexpected. More pics in next post (note: photos only cropped, no other editing). SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven