Rocky Mtn Bighorn Sheep in Bighorn Sheep Canyon up the road a piece

These are a few of a herd of 8+ Rocky Mtn bighorn sheep I spotted grazing not far off of H50 in Bighorn Sheep Canyon which begins about 11 miles east of my town, Canon City, CO. Note the gorgeous native blue grama grass that surrounds the ewe in the top pic--this location is BLM lands and our public lands can protect our native ecosystems as has been done in this location.
Bighorn sheep spend most of the year in separated herds composed either of mature rams or maternal herds composed mostly of females but including lambs and young rams like the one in bottom pic. I took these pics from my car so I wouldn't disturb these bighorns and this pays off with better photos. Since I was able to stabilize my camera on the window the photos can be even further enlarged than the cropping I did so double click on each one for really close-up views (the teeth on the ewe in the top pic even show a little when pic is further enlarged. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven