More info on phoebe family

Though I got some video, I had a meeting for which my Audubon chapter has conservation concerns so I haven't had time to edit and upload it. But I wanted to get some additional info out about this probable hybrid phoebe family. While I watched yesterday morning, the parent bird fed each of the two young for 5-10 minutes. Then the adult flew to the opposite sided of the Arkansas River quickly followed by the apparent fledglings (since they aren't independent yet, they are still fledglings). The adult flew out a number of times capturing insects in this area. After a few minutes, the adult flew to another location on the south side of the river where it sallied out and caught a number of insects. Each of these locations are places along the Arkansas River where I have seen many previous phoebes feeding and I associate them as good feeding locations--it would seem that this adult bird does also.

A short time later one of the fledglings returned to the spot near the nest site (also a good feeding area). I watched it proceed to fly out after insect after insect with no parent in sight. Though I saw it catch at least one insect, suffice it to say it's insect catching skills left something to be desired--and still no adult. Then the winds came up and this poor young bird wasn't catching anything. Here came the adult phoebe--it perched briefly, then flew out and immediately caught an insect which it fed to the fledgling. It would seem that the adult was supplementing the fledglings catches (had it been watching?).

I am trying not to anthropomorphize but it appeared that the parent bird had brought it's two remaining dependents to various good eating places, showing them how to get their food. Then this fledgling was left to practice feeding and fending for itself, though the parent was nearby to make sure it didn't starve. Very, very interesting behavior. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven