Wild swan(s) visit Canon City

I have been reading for at least a week about numbers of swans, both Trumpeter and Tundra, being found in lakes up and down the front range. I found this adult Trumpeter Swan in a gravel pond in Canon City. The top pic shows the all black and mostly straight bill with black lores distinctive to Trumpeters. It also has black legs and feet. When the first pic is super enlarged, the red border on the bottom mandible can be seen. It also shows the rusty staining around it's head that birds from the Yellowstone area get from the minerals in the water. The bottom pic can be enlarged (by double clicking on it) to show the pointed border at the center of the bill. It was cloudy when I took these pics so they came out abnormally dark (due to my very long lens and fast exposure as the swan was at least 80 feet away) so I had to lighten them quite a bit so the body may appear whiter than it was (I try hard to keep the color and shading as close to actual but I couldn't bring out features and keep the whiteness level as it should be).
I watched this swan moving it's head up and down repetively as though bowing which I have read on the Trumpeter Swan Society website is bobbing motion common to Trumpeters. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven