Great Horned Owl Family

This is a family of Great Horned Owls that I have been following since the parents were beginning to nest. When I checked on them right before I left for my trip to Texas in April, there were two young nestlings on the nest. When I returned from my trip and checked on May 16, the nest was empty and the two young fledglings in the top pics were on a tree branch no more than 75 feet from the nest tree.
At this stage the fledglings have very weak flying skills and were still mostly hopping around on branches, which accounts for their being referred to as "branchers" at this stage. When I returned on May 18, I found one of the fledlings practicing it's flying skills. I saw at least one parent owl, the one in bottom pics, was nearby on both occasions.
All of the pics can be enlarged for real close-up views though the 2nd pic isn't as good. In the third pic enlarging will show that the parent bird, though seemingly napping near it's offsping, actually has one of it's eyes open slightly. Just double-click on a pic to enlarge it. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven