Painted Lady butterfly migration


Painted Lady butterflies have been migrating through Colorado for the past week or so. I observed them moving through eastern Colorado last week when I birded at Lake Holcomb. I saw more than 50 Painted Ladies, most flying south, in about 2 hours I was there.

I saw Painted Ladies on the Canon City Riverwalk earlier this week, counting 32 during a 2 mile walk. I photographed the Painted Lady in this pic at the Riverwalk where it was one of 8 Painted Ladies in one 4 ft by 6 ft rabbitbrush (along with a fritillary species butterfly that I post on next). I find rabbitbrush to be a great shrub for attracting butterflies during migration (and when the flowers, and butterflies, are gone it attracts White-crowned Sparrows with its' seeds). SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven