Baby Virginia Rail

For those unfamiliar with rails, they do indeed seem to measure up to the saying "skinny as a rail"--that came from those who watched rails turn sideways and disappear into marsh vegetation as though they were as thin as a piece of paper.
I have been watching b Soras (also a rail species)in a marsh at my friend's for the past week but today was the first time I saw a Virginia Rail (at least this year as I watched both species in this same marsh last year). I saw an adult Virginia Rail foraging close to the edge then spotted this juvenile further back in the reeds. It had apparently been following its parent but did not move as close so I shot these pics (handheld as I didn't bring my tripod) though the reeds from about 20 feet away.
I believe this young Virginia Rail is about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks old. Though it's bill is becoming black, there is still some white and pink around the nasal septum and at the tip, which is noted in Birds of North America(BNA) online as the last areas to lose their color. BNA also notes that the bill of Virginia Rails become entirely black at 4 weeks, so this rail is not yet that old. BNA also says that juvenile plumage starts emerging "at 2–2.5 wk on breast area of ventral tract and expands anteriorly and posteriorly until fully emerged by 3.5 wk." This chick does show some of the whitish feathering on its breast. Interesting that this chick still shows the almost bare crown that is found on hatchlings (and the first time I've actually seen this). This is consistent with a study published in the Wilson bulletin by G.W. Kaufmann that states, "The down on the posterior of the crown of Virginia Rail chicks is less dense than elsewhere, and appears most bald during the 2nd and 3rd weeks." SeEtta
Digg!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons