Baby Western Kingbird


This is the time of year when baby birds are everywhere--in nests, learning to fly and falling on the ground. These pics are of a Western Kingbird nestling that left it's nest prematurely, whether by falling out or being pushed out of the nest. It was an older nestling that is fully feathered (it even looks like a W Kingbird) but check out the very short tail. I spotted it as I drove down a country road and stopped to put it in a less hazardess location. Though it was just mostly a ball of fluff, it had a good size beak that it used to protect itself with quite well. I had to get an old sweatshirt out of my car to pick it up in so as to avoid being pinched. Both pics are of good quality, especially the bottom pic which has excellent resolution, so do double-cick on them for a great super close-ups. SeEtta

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for posting this. I saw two babies in Highlands Ranch on the ground and was able to identify them using your picture. I haven't seen them since so I hope they are ok.
SRM said…
I am happy my photos helped you identify the baby Western Kingbirds. These young fledglings are at high risk as they develop their skills to fly fly away from danger but that is how they have evolved. I hope they are ok too.

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven