Amazing number of migrating songbirds in my yard last evening

Both a male and female Rose-breasted Grosbeak, first of the year birds, flew between my yard and my next door neighbor's yard. Here is the male eating at one of my neighbor's feeders. I didn't photos of them but my neighbor and I both had Black-headed and Evening Grosbeaks in our trees also--three grosbeak species not just in one day but all three were present between 6 and 7:30 pm when a rush of birds came through.
Last year we had a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeak that spent the summer so I am hoping this pair chooses to stay with us this year too.
These Rose-breasted Grosbeaks really like chokecherry trees, a wonderful native species, in my neighbors' yards and that is what it is perched in.
A number of warbler species worked their way through my trees including several Yellow as well about 30 Yellow-rumped, and 3 Orange-crowned Warblers. And all of these warblers came through my yard and my neighbor's yard between 6 and 7:30 pm yesterday.
I really liked this photo showing the crown and upperparts of a Yellow Warbler that has some chestnut streaking not only on it's crown but even light ones on it's back feathers. Birds of North America online states, "Crown and forehead bright yellow, sometimes tinged or slightly streaked orange or chestnut, usually contrasting with more greenish-yellow nape and back; rump and uppertail-coverts yellow tinged with olive (5Y 3.8/3.0; 35). Back feathers may contain a few obscure chestnut streaks."
And this Orange-crowned stayed very late-it was still feeding at 7:30 pm, dusk. SeEtta
Though not the best photo the bottom one shows an Indigo Bunting high up in my mature honeylocust tree. It was there in the evening and earlier at least one Lazuli Bunting sang from my blue spruce. Not bad for migrating neo-tropicals: 3 warbler species, 2 bunting species and 3 grosbeak species in one day in my yard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons