At last, a Hutton's Vireo


I have tried to turn a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets into Hutton's Vireos in the past week so very happy I finally have a real Hutton's Vireo, a bird I found at Kerr Wildlife Management Area. And I got it in the mid-afternoon--I was driving past that area on my way to Concan and couldn't resist stopping to see what I could find. See the bluish legs shown clearly in the top pic-very different from the yellowish legs and feet on Ruby-crowned Kinglets. That pic also shows the pale edges that meet the base of secondaries (instead of black line) that is another field mark per Sibleys.

The bottom pic shows well the 'thick hooked bill', round head,and pale lores.  Plus the eye ring broken at the top--all the field marks for Hutton's. Vireo.  SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven