Unusually light and unmarked Ferruginous Hawk


I spotted this very white hawk in Colorado City, Colorado along the southern front range. As soon as I stopped my car to photograph it, this very wary bird took off flying high then distant. I tried to follow after it in my car but it was far out of sight.

Besides it's bright white plumage, it has distinct dark wrist commas but I cannot see any patagial markings.  There is no indication of a belly band.  There are narrow black bands on the distal half of it's otherwise white tail.  White windows on primaries and legs are feathered all the way to the feet (in white feathers). As white as it is and so minimally marked, I thought it was a Krider's Red-tailed Hawk. Wrong, I have been informed that this is a very pale juvenile Ferruginous Hawk. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons