Albino hummingbird at feeder in Salida,CO area

Yesterday I was contacted about a possible albino hummingbird that had been photographed coming to feeders in the Salida, CO area. I believe this bird meets criteria for full albino rather than leucistic because it has very white feathering (rather than off-white or a pinkish bill and feet and reddish eyes. I cropped these photos taken by Judith Anne Smith and did not modify the coloration.


True Albino hummingbirds are very rare as are leucistic hummingbirds, just more so.

The other hummingbirds coming to the feeder are Broad-tailed and Rufous and I can't tell from these photos which specie it might be. The property owner where this albino hummingbird has come to the feeders this week is open to visits by interested birders if it stays around. Contact me if you are in the Salida area and would like to try for this beautiful hummer and I will connect you with the property owner. SeEtta

9-1-11 PostNote:  I exchanged photos today as I had Ms. Smith's name incorrect and I did not have the correct copyright symbol--these photos are copyrighted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons