The smallest falcon: American Kestral

I think most of us enjoy seeing these colorful female American Kestrals, the smallest member of the falcon family. This little lady was hunting in a field in my town of Canon City,CO when I took these pics today.
I think this species has such a sweet looking face that conceals the reality that are hunters of live food. Their prey includs warm blooded critters such as backyard birds (which can be upsetting to those who feed the birds they take), but it also includes mice (which many of us applaud).
Many who display the photos they have taken of birds include only those with clear head shots and rarely show back views or views of the underparts. Since in the real world we often see birds from behind or underneath I think it is important to post pics showing what that looks like. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons