Raining Sapsuckers

I saw 20 sapsuckers today!!!!!
I was astounded to see all of these 18 sapsuckers in or just outside of Canon City,CO--and in only 3 hours of birding!!. I started off to check on male Williamson's Sapsuckers by first finding two of them at Rouse Park in the same areas where I have seen them previously. I headed directly to Lakeside Cemetery to see if the 2 male Williamson's I had seen there yesterday were there (if not, then they might be moving between the cemetery and Rouse Park and were not separate individuals from the 2 I saw at Rouse today). Surprise--not only did I refind the two male Williamson's in the area of Lakeside Cemetery I saw them yesterday but I found 3 more male Williamson's for a grand total of 5 males plus 3 female Williamson's--just at this one cemetery!!!!!! The top pic is one of the male Williamson's I found at Lakeside Cemetery today.
The middle (bird probing a sap well-view is from under it's chin so a little of red throat is visible) and bottom pics are of a second male Williamson's that I also saw today in a different location in Lakeside Cemetery than I have previously seen male (or female) Williamson's this year. More on today's Sapsucker Extravaganza in next post. SeEtta 

--------------------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven