Bear cub just 40 feet away!

After an appointment in Pueblo, I detoured to the San Isabel National Forest near Greenwood, CO this afternoon. It was a little cooler and very peaceful as I was the only one in the area I drove into. I (and my 2 dogs who had been sleeping while I just enjoyed the quiet) had been very quiet for quite a while, I stepped out of my car. When I turned around to get back in the car I was very surprised to see a bear cub just 40 feet away on the other side of the car. I quickly but carefully got into my car to get my camera trying not to scare the young bear. However, it had stood up on it's back legs to smell the air and as soon as it got a whiff of human it ran quickly into a nearby gulch and I never got a chance to get a photo.

What a bummer as I have never been that close to a bear in the wild when I was not safely inside my car (of course, since I was inches away from being in my car I wasn't fearful but it did feel like I was out there with the cub). This looked like a yearling cub so mom was likely nearby which changed my plans to let the dogs out and to take a hike. Two years ago (specifically on August 1,2008) I saw a mother bear and her 2 cubs in this area not far from where I saw this one--that time I got photos. This is great bear habitat with lots of scrub oak (loaded up not quite ripe acorns) and minimal human interlopers. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons