Tricolored Heron-a rare vagrant in Fremont Co., CO

This Tricolored Heron was found yesterday by local area birder Rich, at the Holcim Wetlands in eastern Fremont County, CO. Probably a first for the county, it is also a rarity throughout Colorado. When I arrived the sun was shining and only starting to get cloudy when I got the top pic.
I sat and watched the heron for about 10 minutes and by the time I got the bottom pic it had started to rain so that pic is not as bright and sharp as the top pic (demonstrates the difference that light makes). However it does show it's distinctive white belly. I enjoyed watching this heron make several 'dash' moves to go quickly after prey--a very fast effort I might add. Though I was enjoying observing this heron feed, I took off shortly after this pic as it started thundering. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons