Yellow-belliedSapsucker

Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers winter in the Canon City,CO area, the furthest west location in Colorado with a regular population (usually several). I first found this male on October 29, 2009 in Centennial Park and have seen it there off and on since then. Today it had snowed about an inch and this sapsucker was not in the mood to be disturbed from it's feeding on phloem in a pine tree--it gave it's mewing/screaming like call after I took a few pics. I stopped taking photos (though not loud, my dslr camera makes a mechanical noise each time I depress the shutter and some birds are disturbed by this) and sat quietly in my car for a few minutes in hopes it would go about it's business. It continued feeding so I snapped a few more pics but it called again. I did not want to further disturb it or cause it to flush from an apparently good spot on this pine tree so I not only stopped photographing the bird but left. I used my Canon xti dslr camera with 400mm super telephoto lens (effective focal length of 560 as camera is not full frame) then cropped pics to get these enlargements.
The fully framed throat that distinguishes Yellow-bellied from Red-naped Sapsuckers (another sapsucker along with Williamson's that we get in winter here) is shown well in the bottom pic. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons