Pugnacious nest defense by Least Terns

I drove down to Adobe Creek Res (aka Lue Lake) just north of Las Animas, CO two days ago to take advantage of the astoundingly mild temps to do some birding. Usually the temps on the Eastern Colo plains are around 100 degrees in late July, but they only rose to around 80 degrees in early afternoon then dropped to the low 70's as a series of thunderstorms moved through the area. Adobe Creek is one of currently only 2 locations in Colo where Least Terns as well as Piping Plovers nest. Federally listed as Endangered, the area around the locations where they choose to nest are cordoned off to make a nesting exclosure to protect them.
As I stood outside the nesting exclosure looking with my binoculars for nests, I heard then saw one then another Least Tern fly towards me (maybe 50 feet above). When I didn't move away immediately, the apparent tern parent's flew closer to me (maybe 20 feet above me)as they called excitedly. I saw a total of 4 adult Least Terns so there should be at least 2 and possibly up to 4 active nests (though I couldn't see any through my binoculars) Birds of North America online states, "This dainty tern is pugnacious when defending nest and young. Its well-known zwreep call of alarm identifies this tern long before it comes into view." Not wishing to upset them, I left the area and drove to a location on the shore further from the nest exlosure. There were a few shorebirds there including a Snowy Plover (will post those later). Though I was now several hundred yards from the nest exclosure, here came one of the Least Terns calling loudly and diving towards me again! Wow, these are very protective parents. So I had to leave this area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons