Common Yellowthroat with different song

As I walked on the "wetland bridge" walkway over the currently dry marsh area, I heard a song I with which I was unfamiliar. I was surprised when I found that the Common Yellowthroat in these pics was giving that song. It's song sounded nothing like the wich-e-ty, wich-e-ty, wich-e-ty that is associated with this species. I was told today that there is a subspecies called the "Brownsville Yellowthroat" that has a very different song. I found some brief information about this subspecies, Geothlypis trichas insperata, but I couldn't find a recording of its' song to listen to.
Though "Birds of North America" online notes subtle plumage differences between this and other subspecies, though it didn't indicate if these were distinguishable in the field. I will post about my experience on Texbirds listserve and maybe someone will have further information. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven