Keeping bear-safe: the facts about bear sprays

In my last post on my encounter with the mother black bear and her cubs, I noted I would be taking precautions for bears. One of those precautions is to carry bear pepper mace, a product that is licensed by EPA with standards for how far it will spray, the strength of the product, etc. I started carrying it at times of increased risk of bear encounters after a trip to Yellowstone Park over a decade ago. There has been some good research on it's effectiveness with bears (found more effective than guns) summarized in a very comprehensive fact sheet compiled by the U.S.G.S Brown Bear (like in grizzlies) Project.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates pepper spray for bears and lists those that are acceptable per their criteria. I recommend anyone considering purchasing bear pepper spray chooses from the EPA's list. SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band-tailed Pigeons, the mountain pigeons