Really big snapping turtle



While walking my dogs this evening at my friend's place east of Canon City, I spotted the very large common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina). It had apparently crawled out of a nearby canal (and later would return there). The top shell was at least 20 inches in length and it appeared to be a formidable critter.

Though it pulled it's head and tail a ways inside it's shell, it turned it's body to face me when I moved towards it's rear to take a photo. They are reported to be aggressive, at least when on land, but I stayed my distance as it was intimidating in appearance and size.

They are reported to generally be brown but this one was this beautiful bluish color as shown in this pic. Post note: what looked blueish may actually be a combination of very dark grey with some green highlights . I found a pic of a large snapping turtle with color that looks similar to this one. See that pic here SeEtta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotted Sandpiper Chicks, 3 more days older

Recently fledged Common Raven